Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Birthdays that could have been

Wow - so it may appear that I have abandoned this blog - but I haven't. I'm always composing in my head things to post. Perhaps I will start to get better at actually posting the thoughts that rattle around in my head on a constant basis.

If you are reading this, I am going to assume a) you know me and b) you know why I haven't touched this blog in over 6 months (something to do with the last part of 2009 being one of the worst times in my life). That being said, I don't feel the need to re-cap anything that's happened in the last 6-7 months.

On to today's topic: Today, April 7, would have been my father-in-law's birthday. So many things have happened in the past two days that remind me of him that I can't help thinking that perhaps it's not all a coincidence.

1) Last night the wind was so bad that it kept blowing a tree branch against the roof of our bedroom - Aaron and I ended up sleeping in the guest room for some peace and quiet. The last time I slept in the guest room was when Aaron was in Chicago while his dad was in the hospital. I slept there because I didn't want to sleep in our bed alone - not really the best reason for my first time sleeping in the house alone. At least this time I had Aaron with me.

2) Today I went to the beach for lunch. I used to text my father-in-law about all kinds of random things - I'd almost always text him when it was nice out. I really wanted to text him about how gorgeous it was today and send him a picture of the beach. I also went to the beach to de-stress after I dropped Aaron off at the airport when he returned to his dad in the hospital. The backdrop for my phone has been a picture that I took that day - I think I might change it to the picture I took today.

3) Oprah's new network (OWN) licensed some music from us for promos - of course, today was the day that deal went through. Almost cried while drafting the contract because I definitely would have texted or emailed him about it right away. We may be entering into a longer term contract with them, too, which is something I always told him they should do.

4) On my drive home tonight, the light-post, that had been going out almost every night after he passed, went out right as I drove past yet again. Apparently that sort of thing can indicate a sign from the other side.

There are plenty of other things, but I can't think of them right now. I just know that I miss my dad-in-law very much. He will always be remembered by me as being full of life and love and he would want us to keep living life to the fullest.

P.S. Stuff like this reminds me that life is short and you need to tell those close to you how you really feel. To all my family: I love you. :)

xx

No comments: